Friday, December 19, 2008

First Snow







This winter, although it's technically not winter yet, has been brutal in Portland. We began last weekend with snow. The roads were bad enough that they cancelled church. The kids went day by day, not knowing whether they would have school. It ended up that they were out this whole week because of the weather. Some kids on the east side had a couple of days of school but ours were out the full week. Now we've got another 2 1/2 weeks of Christmas break. Almost a month of vacation from school. Guess who will be ready for January 5th? We filled some of our time by making rocky road fudge, sugar cookies which we have yet to decorate, and candy cane cookies. The kids have eaten their fair share. We also built a beautiful snowman. The snow on one of the days was perfect for making snowmen. We are not done yet though. Tomorrow is forecast to have another 6-10" of snow with freezing rain on top of that for Sunday. I guess we won't have church again this Sunday. Kevin has been given a two week reprieve from his talk, which was supposed to be part of the Christmas program. They even cancelled our ward Christmas party this year. Ah, Portland weather.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Love the snowman. So cute. But I know how that is to have extended vacations. ROUGH. Especially when you didn't plan on them. I love you sweetie, hang in there. Also, Adam Hiatt on Facebook has contacted me. Remember him from back in BYU days?

Anne Marie said...

The snowman looks awesome. Good luck with all that time at home!

Sally said...

I can't believe all this snow everywhere! Thanks global warming...

I hope my sister can fly out of Portland tomorrow...

Have fun with the "break". I'm happy to not be working but I told Tom this morning...it's not really a "break" for me.

Hope you have a great white Christmas!